Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:12:40 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        kafeend <jimmychonga@pop1.crosswinds.net>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDMA write error

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 04:44:03PM -0700, kafeend wrote:
> I came across your answer to Nader's problem. And i have the same it
> seems like all VIA chipsets have this problem :). I wanted to know
> how to make it not start up in ata mode. the output of sysctl
> hw.atamodes is "hw.atamodes:pio,pio,"...but it still gives me that
> error the UDMA write error on boot. How can i fix it so that this
> won't happen anymore. Also i don't have an /etc/sysctl.conf file
> :(. Thanks kafeend

Firstly you really need to get your mail client to wrap lines at 72
chars or thereabouts.. I saw another post, possibly from you recently
on -stable and I almost replied but it was a right mess because it
wasn't wrapped the way I (and a lot of others) like.

Secondly, I've cc:d this to freebsd-hardware because it seems
relevant, and hopefully someone will either find my comments useful
and perhaps even get back to me with corrections or explanations for
where I've got things wrong.

Finally, in response, the problem, UDMA devices dying horribly...

I have a 82c686 as well, (mine is the onboard one on an FIC SD-11,
which is not really the best of motherboards, but does the job and
works OKAY being one of the earliest boards to support athlons).

I also have a 34Gb IBM disk, UDMA66 (and apparenly UDMA 100)
compatible.

Originally I had my disk setup in UDMA 66 mode, and it went all
pear shaped and died with lots of bad blocks while writing or
reading #<some block numbers>. The disk actually then reported
itself as dead to Windows as well, and I got as far as sending it
back to the manufacturors to get a replacement.

However, it turns out I was one of the first to get bit by this
problem, and all that had happened is that the IDE driver had
toasted the disk due to some sort of corruption.

I finally wiped the disk with a util from IBM for ... wiping your
disks! The same disk now works, and I have moved it so that it
is better cooled and rechecked all the cabling.

I think that your problem, and a lot of other problems people have
been having with this are due to UDMA going wrong because a disk has
overheated, I think *guessing* that writing to a device with UDMA
which is just in the process of dying due to overheating can cause
problems with the blocks on the disk. Not just in the drivers.. Note
that after my problem I couldn't even get the IBM DOS disk utils to
properly identify and check the disk until after a complete low level
wipe.

Interestingly my problem occurred about 10GB into the FreeBSD
partition of the disk, yet it rendered the Windows partition corrupt
as well.

Now, as a solution you can turn off UDMA, (I've put it here because I
think you should read the bit above anyway!) but I don't beleive there
is as much wrong with the driver as people are making out, and I'm not
going to advocate that solution as it's probably solvable (soluble?!)
by simply checking the cabling and cooling of the disk.

Others will tell you to switch to PIO mode, but since moving my disk
I've hammered it hard!  I've got an Athlon 500, and after two or three
succesive make -j<x> buildworlds I've come to the conclusion that
although it looked like UDMA driver crapness it was just UDMA driver
stressed hardware better than I'd installed it!

Since then I've also repartitioned the disk much more cleanly and
I move some very large files about and do TV captures etc.

The only other possible culprit for data corruption might be using the
UDMA driver to write more than 2Gb to a Windows (FAT32)
filesystem. I've remember something about this, I think it might even
cause a panic if you try that, but I'mm not willing to test it any
further because I don't fancy wiping my disk again. I'll leave that as
an excersice for someone on the hardware list who feels like having a
bad week =)

In summary though, you probably do actually have bad blocks on this
disk now, I know that after my problem I did have blocks marked as bad
on the disk. It killed two filesystems (about 15Gb apart!) and I had
to wipe the disk to get rid of them. But I've never actually changed
to PIO mode, and I don't think I or you need to!

Of course, as always, your mileage may vary,

	Steve