Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 10:02:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        leo@rur.com (Leo Papandreou)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No Thumbs??? (lack of concensus)

> > That may be, but I'm still leery of Quantum given their past history of
> > reliability ("NOT").  The Barracudas run great IFF you put a fan on them.
> > That means, even when mounted in a PC case, I leave space above and below,
> > try to make an airflow path:
> >

> I did that. I went to the trouble of buying a very heavy duty server
> case with all sorts of fans and airflow and a humongous 400W power
> supply. I mounted the Barracuda vertically, directly in front of one
> of the fans. Barely warm to the touch.
>
> It went south on me.
>
> I'm getting it checked out because I never backed it up and because
> I have reason to believe that the heads are intact, that the failure
> was electronic.
>
> Still, where there's smoke, there's fire. It seems to me that these
> drives have been the subject of too much negative noise to warrant
> consideration.
>
> The Quantum Atlas II's look very nice.

Hi,

Are you certain the power supply was adequately loaded?  With such a big
supply, if you were not drawing at least 200W from the supply, the supplied
voltages might not have been what they should have been.  Barracudas (at
least the 12550) are quite susceptible to this sort of thing, now that I
think about it (particularly if they are undervoltage'd).  We had a big deal
with this at work - Sun workstations that couldn't adequately supply the
drives.  The drives appeared to try to "compensate" by drawing more current,
leading to excess heat, sort of ugly....  the problems went away when we
started putting the drives in external cases.

(a Sun power supply is much lower wattage than your average PC)

Actually, I did just have a Barracuda 32550 fail on me this morning, but it
had been in service for well over a year as a news drive on an extremely
busy news server  :-)

... Joe