Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 14:00:36 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SENDMAIL Configuration

I'm trying to configure "sendmail 8.9.3" in FreeBSD3.2,  and I'm a bit
confused about just how to do a few things. The FreeBSD box is a
gateway
for a LAN ... permanent dialup modem connection to the net

Firstly,  "sendmail.cw" & "relay-domains"

I understand that sendmail.cw is where you are supposed to list domain
names
that you want sendmail to accept mail for, so since I want
bryden.apana.org.au
to accept mail for all my LAN machines I made up a "sendmail.gw" file
as follows

+++++++++++++++++++++
bryden.apana.org.au
oracle.apana.org.au
dougy.apana.org.au
roadrunner.apana.org.au
jdy.apana.org.au
matey.apana.org.au
+++++++++++++++++++++

Furthermore I've been told that "relay-domains contains domain names
of all
machines you want to allow relaying for.  You would probably list all
your
other machines here."

I read that as meaning I should just list all local machines, so I
made
up a "relay-domains" file by copying the "sendmail.cw" file to
"relay-domains"

Secondly, I tried running the following

makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable < /etc/mail/virtusertable
makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access

Got "No such file or directory", so I created a new empty file
"/etc/mail/virtusertable" ... and ran that first thing again .....

this time I got a different response
"/etc/mail/virtusertable.db: line 1: syntax error (leading space)"

Looks like I've gotta put something in that "virtusertable" file but
what ??

I ran "man virtusertable" but that just said "No manual entry for
virtusertable"

Looked back in "/etc/mail" and now there is a new file,
"virtusertable.db", but
it only contains a line of garbage

OK .... would someone please tell me just what I haven't done
correctly ??