Date:      Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:35:07 -0500
From:      "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        "todora "@scorec.rpi.edu, ebbe@bornholmermail.dk, jcmichot@usenet-fr.net
Subject:   PowerEdge 860

Hi all:

There are scattered reports in late 2006 / early 2007 of success using
the PE 860 w/ the SAS RAID, but not w/o the RAID (normally paired with a
non-Xeon).

Would anyone be willing to share some dmesg(8) output?  W/ or w/o the
RAID PERC SAS5iR mfi(4)?  RELENG_6 or RELENG_7?  Post your dmesg(8) to
dmesgd at NYCBUG?

Here's an 850 w/o RAID:
http://www.nycbug.org/?NAV=dmesgd;f_dmesg=;f_bsd=;f_nick=;f_descr=poweredge;dmesgid=1724#1724

I'm curious how far the 860 is from the 850?

Presumably they replaced with bge(4) with bce(4) (They offer both add on
"BC NetXtreme II 5708 1-Port" as well as "NetXtreme 5721") and also
replaced ICH7 with ICH8 or ICH9, but I'd like to check with other
satisfied customers.

An OpenBSD dmesg(8) suggests "Intel 82801GB IDE"
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2007-02/0571.html
...But that's in a model with a SAS5iR installed where the optical disk
is attache.

The IDE controller may be different with no RAID.

The lower-end 850 w/ the Core2 or genuine P4 non-Xeon is essentially
desktop-class hardware, so I don't imagine anything too exotic.

TIA,
~BAS