Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 15:57:11 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Daniel J. Zaccariello" <marisombra@mindspring.com>, John Papalia <john@jpepconsulting.com>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, smkelly@slashnet.org, insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Attitudes towards newbies (was Re: FreeBSD and IRC)

Jordan K. Hubbard said on May  3, 2000 at 02:21:41:
> > >      Channel #FreeBSD on EFNet is a FreeBSD forum, but don't go there
> > >for tech support or to try and get folks there to help you avoid
>
> > This reads that "if you've tried man pages, web site, etc. etc. then maybe
> > you'll find what you're looking for in #freebsd.  All it says is that it
>
> No, if your first language is english then it most definitely does not
> say any such thing.  "don't go there for tech support" means exactly
> that, it doesn't mean "maybe you'll find what you're looking for in
> #freebsd" as you've somehow tried to creatively interpret it.
>
> I also don't see how any part of this conversation has been "on
> topic" - that's a major stretch!

Since JKH hath spoken, does that mean this is the official statement
on this subject?

This is most definitely on topic: it concerns early experiences of
many new users in support, which will affect whether they choose
to start using the system or not, and whether they will in turn
advocate it to others.

More than that, this whole thread speaks of the attitudes of the
senior members of the project: if newbies make mistakes, it's ok to
walk all over them and it's all their fault.

If you're serious about keeping newbies away from #freebsd, make it
totally unambiguous.  Why put in such vague wording that only suggests
that you may not get the help you want and may end up discussing sex
instead?  If you don't want them to ask questions, **tell them plainly
not to ask questions**.  When you say the talk may include anything from
sex to nukes, surely most normal people won't imagine that asking
freebsd questions on a #freebsd channel is sufficiently offtopic to
lead to kicking.

And why is it buried in the FAQ? Put it on
http://www.freebsd.org/support.html where it belongs.  Where do you
think someone who learns about #freebsd and wants to know about it
will look first?

Why make that "first language" statement?  Apart from sounding
condescending, are you suggesting that only English speakers should
use the system?

I could go on and on, but since you claim this is not "on-topic", I'll
say exactly why it's on-topic for me.  We're planning to get a few new
systems.  The default choice would be linux, but I was pushing for
FreeBSD on at least one or two systems.  Others argue that nobody
knows much about FreeBSD locally and I won't be here for very long, so
linux would be a safer choice.  I didn't give much importance to that
argument (anyone can learn...) but after reading this thread, and
especially your contributions, JKH (considering your position), I'm
having a serious rethink.

If I still haven't made it clear: I'm not arguing that tech support
questions should be allowed on #freebsd -- I neither know nor care
about that, I don't use IRC.  But it's a clear that a problem exists,
and I'm shocked that you want to deny the problem rather than suggest
solutions, and your attitude towards newbies sucks.

Rahul.