Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 2000 07:51:06 -0500
From:      Network Administrator <admin@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mount alien floppy? (Brother word processor)

I have some old Brother word processor 3.5" floppy diskettes with important
family data on them (my grandmother's memoirs, et. al.). Mounting one of
these floppies on a Windows box yields a "Format? (y/n)" type of error,
since the format is not msdos.

We have hard copies of the files but are hoping to migrate the data to
Windows (grandma's just not ready for BSD ;-). I would like to avoid a
time-consuming OCR conversion process or the costly $20 per floppy 3rd
party conversion service that Brother referred us to (there are lots of
disks to convert).

Is there a quick way to mount and read Brother formatted floppies in FreeBSD?

I would be very happy if files could be recovered whole, but happy enough
if I could just read the data onto the HD for further inspection and
handling. Open to any suggestions.

TIA,

Greg Barniskis <admin@scls.lib.wi.us>
Network Administrator