Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 23:21:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: password question

I recently blathered:
 % It's been a while since I worked with AIX, so bear with me on this.  If
 % I remember correctly, the true source for the password entries on AIX is
 % in a file somewhere in the /etc/secure directory.

J. Wunsch replied:
 > /etc/security/passwd:
 >
 > j:
 >         password = 7iQAjV5h2mof.
 >         lastupdate = 830766071
 >         flags =
 >
 > And yes, the passwords are DES-encrypted there, i've just checked.
 > (Don't attempt to run crack over the above.  For one, i doubt my
 > password could be guessed with a dictionary, but even then, i've
 > toggled a number of characters here as well. :)

Gee, my memory was pretty good.  I used to have nightmares about these
things, until I sat down one day and wrote a "stanza parser" for our
library.  That made me appreciate how and why they did it the way they
did.  My brother, who now works on AIX professionally at Motorola, says
my routine must have been better than the IBM-supplied ones; he hates
them.  Perhaps my pain threshold was just higher.  ;^)