Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:02:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
Cc:        W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun release source code for Solaris 8

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Dann Lunsford wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 03:00:51PM -0800, W Gerald Hicks wrote:
> > >
> > > I suspect, when Sun releases the source for Slowlaris, that we will hear
> > > the sound of a lot of hackers getting physically sick from reading it.
> > >

> > I have more fear of hackers getting *legally* sick from reading it  ;-)
> >
> I think I'd enjoy this more if I knew what you meant :-).  Really.
>
> You think there's going to be some sort of legal gotcha in the
> Slowlaris source?  Or what?

I can see there may be intellectual property rights issues.  Solaris does
some things better than the free UNIXes, like SMP.  Even if the technology
used is well known in the literature, there may be concerns that people
doing work on other systems are stealing the Solaris implementation.  How
likely this depends on the license (which I haven't seen) and also on Sun's
strictness in its interpertation and enforcement.