Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:45:43 -0300
From:      daniel_sobral@voga.com.br
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

> The idea that there needs to be a mechanism for handling mutual
> exclusions presupposes (incorrectly, IMO), that some drivers are
> mutually exclusive.

Well, as far as I know, syscon and the vt stuff are mutually exclusive.
And, generally, speaking, two drivers to the same piece of hardware will be
mutually exclusive. That's not that unlikely to ignore the possibility.

> Similarly, prerequisite identification is well and good, but can be
> done symbolically, without reference to a kernel configurator.

Similarly, the kernel configurator should not display syscon's history
buffer size option if you did not select syscon.

> So what's left for a kernel configurator to do?

> ...Nothing.

In a perfect world, with elf kernel, PnP PCI devices, devfs, and well
behaviored hardware, sure, nothing's left to do.

(except that, there probably would be even then)