Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 21:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   timed on local network

Hi,

I'd like to run timed on my local Ethernet (using bogus IP addresses).
The machine I'd like to use as master has a dial-up connection to the
Internet.  I don't want time activities to cause dial-outs (I use ppp
with dial-on-demand).  Also for information, I run a caching-only
name server.

So I want to prevent timed from talking to the dial-up network, or restrict
it to talking to my in-house network.  Starting with the first option...

My ISP's router is 198.7.0.124 -

# nslookup 198.7.0.124
Server:  localhost.dialup.access.net
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    slip-gw.access.net
Address:  198.7.0.124

So I add 'access.net' to my '/etc/networks' file -

access.net      198.7.0         # panix

and use

timed -t -M -d -i access.net

to work with all networks, except my ISP.  This doesn't work, I see
the following in the log...

acksend: to broadcast: MASTERREQ 1 171    198.7.0.124     freebie.my.domain
readmsg: looking for MASTERACK from ANY, 198.7.0.124

OOPS, I'm trying to be a master time daemon on my ISP's network.
I also get messages suggesting that the daemon is working correctly on
my local network.  But I have to prevent the connection to my ISP since
that will cause automatic connections on every update, not to mention
possibly interfering with their time daemons.

So I try the alternative, force timed to look at my own network only.
I use 10.0.0 as my net (netmask 0xffffff00), so I add the following to
/etc/networks:

my.domain       10.0.0       # At-home Ethernet - no Internet connection

# ping freebie.my.domain
PING freebie (10.0.0.2): 56 data bytes

Now I do:

# timed -t -M -d -n my.domain

and get:
timed: no network usable

Without the /etc/networks line I get:

timed: unknown net my.domain

So I'm baffled.  Is anyone doing this successfully?  Am I missing something?

Sorry this is so long, but I have been through the man pages and archives
and tried the variations I could think of.

John

--
Well, that's like hypnotizing chickens.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key