Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 06:50:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Matt=20Sykes?= <mattmsykes@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        Tim Wilde <twilde@dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: able to delete root-owned files as non-root

 --- Tim Wilde <twilde@dyndns.org> wrote: > On Thu, 31 Jan 2002,
[iso-8859-1] Matt Sykes wrote:

> > xerxes:~> whoami
> > sykes
> > xerxes:~> ll testfile
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Jan 31 00:23 testfile
> > xerxes:~> rm testfile
> > override rw-r--r--  root/wheel for testfile? y
> > xerxes:~> ll testfile
> > ls: testfile: No such file or directory
> >
> > Big security problem.
> >
> > This should never ever happen.
>
> Sure it should.  If you own the directory this file is in, you have
> permission to do this.  It's perfectly standard UNIX filesystem
> behavior.
> On my solaris box:
>
> twilde@quartz:~$ ls -lad .
> drwxr-xr-x  28 twilde   twilde      2048 Jan 31 00:30 .
> twilde@quartz:~$ ls -la somefile
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     other          0 Jan 31 00:30 somefile
> twilde@quartz:~$ rm somefile
> rm: somefile: override protection 644 (yes/no)? y
> twilde@quartz:~$ ls -la somefile
> somefile: No such file or directory
> twilde@quartz:~$
>
> The ownership of the directory is what gives you permission to
> create or
> remove files in the directory.  You wouldn't be able to EDIT that
> file as
> someone who doesn't have write privs on it, though.
>
> Tim Wilde

Ok I apologize for being a little rash in sending out this "problem".

I first noticed it right after cvsupping 4.5-stable and thought it
was related.  A hasty assumption.

However I did manage to bungle up mergemaster, and consequently
root could log in without a password.  But that is another story...

--Matt