Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:44:37 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Michael BlackHeart <amdmiek@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Broadcom Wireless BCM4312 Rev.02 (BCM4310 UART) troubles

On Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:08:49 pm Michael BlackHeart wrote:
> >   Why don't you try to play with wlan(4) on top of bwi/bwn?
> > An example is here: handbook / 31.3.3.1.1 How to Find Access Points.
>
> wlan appeared in 7.2 or 7.3 and 8.0 as I remember and I always thought that
> it's just a matter of security and easy maintaining and probably multi-wlan
> routing. In a real daily usage I use it as well, for example it works great
> on my server, but I guess it doesn't matter for a testing hardware, does it?

As others have noted, wlan devices are mandatory.

> > Yes, even with ndis (which is what I use for this adapter, albeit on
> i386),
> > you have to use wlan.  (ndis on i386 will not have the 'fpudna' issues
> since
> > 32-bit Windows drivers do not use SSE instructions.)  Even with ndis I
> have to
> > run ndis_events for WPA auth to work FWIW.
>
> I've tried i386 as well with ndis and it doesn't make a sense. Could you
> please tell me the driver version you use, it's SP number if it's official
> HP driver, or link to download the one you have to work with. And a link how
> to use ndis_events will be great, I've never try this one.

Hmm, I downloaded the driver over a year ago.  The INF file is UTF-16 or some
such which I cannot parse by hand very easily.  It is just called 'bcmwl5' and
the driver copyright is 1998-2008 Broadcom.

For ndis_events you just need to run it without any arguments.  I think you
can run it after wpa_supplicant has been started.

--
John Baldwin