Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:02:24 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        kientzle@acm.org
Subject:   Re: Minimalist FreeBSD 4.8

> Actually, I have a small script that does something like this.  Here's
> a breif sketch.
>
> # prepare /cf
> make buildworld
>
>     ${chroot} /bin/sh -${e}c "(cd $srcdir
>         env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=$objdir make -m ${srcdir}/share/mk -f \
>             Makefile.inc1 hierarchy DESTDIR=$dstdir NOMAN=yes
>         (cd etc ; env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=$objdir make -m ${srcdir}/share/mk \
>             distribution DESTDIR=$dstdir NOMAN=yes)
>         for i in ${FreeBSDProgramDirs}; do
>             echo \"==> \$i\"
>             test -d \$i &&
>             (cd \$i ; env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=$objdir make -m ${srcdir}/share/mk \
>                 install -DNOINFO -DNOMAN DESTDIR=$dstdir -DNOPROFILE)
>             done)"
>
> Here's my current minimal list for a bootable system, although you
> might be able to trim it a little.  Also, it is optimized for 4.5.
> There will some tweaks needed for 4.8.  Also, I've done the buildworld
> with NOSHARED=no since we put both / and /usr on the same partition in
> our systems.
>
> My scripts are more complete, but also very specific to Timing
> Solutions' needs.  I've used these scripts to build flashes that take
> up about 12M or so.  There's about 2M that can be trimmed.
>
> Warner
>
> P.S.  Maybe I should find some time to pull together these scripts in
> a releaseable format...
>
> P.P.S.,  Here's what I use to set FreeBSDProgramDirs to in an
> over-arching makefile.

I've used a hacked-on version of Warner's scripts to build a FreeBSD
based firewall distribution to run on the Soekris 4501 box.  I was
able to get a running system for that application on an 8MB CF card.
Of course, the kernel was compressed and it was pretty stripped down..
I'm currently using a 32MB CF card, with two 16MB partitions for this
purpose (so I can back up to the previous version easily).

Of course, no gcc.  And heavens, no VI!  Got a microemacs on there
instead, whew!

I also built my system with NOSHARED=no to dramatically reduce the
space requirements for the root (and only) file system, and it works
great.

louie