Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:11:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@netmode.ntua.gr>
Subject:   Re: Port for the Orion Server (J2EE Application Server)

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:

> Although my heart on this matter is on the side of compiling the source,
> I can see that there is probably an important difference between Java
> and C/C++ programs: Java programs are (supposed to be) platform-independent,
> so you don't generally have to provide FreeBSD-specific patches to make
> them work.

Pure java code may be platform independent - however, the deployment of a
java application may not be. The candidates for patches are the
.properties (and friends) and JNI code.

At any rate, this is practically a non-discussion. The ports(7) manpage is
very explicit about building from *source*. I would expect a stink on the
architecture mailing list if that were broken.

Note that exceptions have been made in the past:

1. Non-open software, e.g. netscape communicator
2. Software that benefits from a binary port e.g. cvsup. In this
   case, you see a port "cvsup" that builds from source, *and* "cvsup-bin"
   that downloads prebuilt binaries from an arbitrary site.

   Signed jars fall into this category and one would create a separate
   port for a signed jar.

Like any properly paranoid sysadmin, I like to build from source whenever
possible. Java under FreeBSD is already fraught with pitfalls - let's not
make it less attractive!

- J