Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:48:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Basic question about threads and SMP

	You know, a stray thought just occured to me, which hopefully
won't sound to silly to people who know about this stuff. :) If I have an
SMP box (using -Current specifically) do I want to be compiling things
with -lc_r? I'm thinking specifically of mission critical things like
apache, but in general will other ports and such take advantage of
libc_r if they are compiled with it, or would a program that _can_ take
advantage of it already have that built in, say into autoconf or some
such? What about other parts of the base system? I'm assuming that the
kernel is covered by virtue of the fact that I've enabled the SMP options,
yes?

	I'm trying to learn more about SMP, threads, and such like in
general. The recent conversations about those topics on the lists have
been very educational. I'm still wading through them, but I appreciate
being able to sit on the sidelines and glean bits here and there.

Thanks,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"