Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 18:53:43 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: cvsup problems?

[ CC-ed to Wayne to kill two birds with one stone ]

On 5/24/01, 6:22:36 PM, Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com> wrote regarding
cvsup problems?:

> I've been having problems with cvsup trying to delete
> ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files while it still has files in it.  I have=

> deleted the entire ports tree,

You needn't have done that. Please avoid overloading
FreeBSD/FreeBSD-related servers -- unless it is really necessary. The
cause of/for the described behavio(u)r is actually quite different. The
gory details are found in the -stable archives.

> and checked the whole thing out from a
> different cvsup server.  That works fine.  If you later try to cvsup
> again, it will stop when it tries to delete that directory, which is n=
ot
> empty.

Exactly. In fact, you didn't attack the real problem.

> I have tried this on cvsup11.freebsd.org and cvsup12.freebsd.org.

> Any thoughts?

In the -stable forum, the issue has been discussed at an **excessive**
lenght :-)

The finest working solution is probably the following:

1) rm -rf the d****ed jakarta-tomcat port;
2) edit the ports checkouts file removing the few (contiguous) lines
containing "jakarta-tomcat";
3) cvsup your ports tree;
4) [lo and behold] cvsup your ports tree again ;-)

It has worked for me (and for others).

N.B. If you use cvs to download your repo and checkout your sources, you=

should meet with no difficulties at all.

Best of luck & best of fun with the ports,
Salvo