Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:02:18 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "James F. Hranicky" <jfh@cise.ufl.edu>
Subject:   Re: Problems with second Adaptec (39160) card: System hangs during boot

> I've recently tried installing an Adaptec 39160 card into one of my
> FreeBSD servers, however, about halfway through the boot process, the
> system hangs. Here's (hopefully) the relevant parts of the boot
> sequence:

[snip]

> It seems that both cards are using irq 11 for one or both channels. I
don't
> know if this is the problem, and if it is, if there's anything I can do
> about it.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with one card using the same IRQ for
both channels, but there does seem to be something strange going on with the
first card.

Are there any settings in the 39160 BIOS to control whether IRQs are
allocated on a per-card (shared) or per-channel (separate) basis?  It looks
like the card is allocating an IRQ to each channel, but only reporting the
allocation of the first (11) back to the PnP BIOS/OS.  This in turn causes
the second card to pick up and use 11, resulting in the conflict between the
two adapters.

Just my $0.02.

--
Matt Emmerton