Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 16:48:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does the patching procedure work?

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Klaus Steden wrote:
> > I'll drop the thread, but you're missing the point. The problem is that
> > maintaining production FreeBSD systems is still far too time-consuming
> > and awkward. It's a security issue AND a usability issue. The project
> > as a whole really needs to get a handle on this issue.

It's far easier than it is with most other platforms.  I don't see what's
so awkward about maintaining a number of BSD machines.  I've done it on
small LANs and large WANs, and have to admit it's one of the more
pleasurable experiences in my daily routine.

Updating glibc every month on 40+ production RH machines (only because
IBM's JDK is developed on RH) is a much bigger PITA IMCO.

> You could use Windows. They force you to install security fixes and upgrades
> autmagically from the Internet.

This isn't very useful...  Although I've posted plenty of useless snippets
in my time.  As much as I hate Windoze, this is untrue.  They actually
force people that are too lazy to deselect a couple checkboxes and
restart a service to periodically check for updates.

The point is, it's configurable.  The level of clue in people who don't
know what services run on their Windows machines (especially if you
actually use Windows machines for something "important") is about equal to
that of a Unix admin who doesn't know what all that "ps stuff" is.

-mrh