Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 23:01:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jacko@xtalwind.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has anyone successfully installed 2.1-960627-SNAP over PPP?

Sort of.  I think removing my own liver with a butter knife would have
probably made for a more enjoyable week-end. :-)

boot4.flp was the only one that would allow me to dial an ISP.  First I
tried to use the 'upgrade' option.  After establishing my PPP connection I
got the screen telling me I had to partition my drives, followed
immediately by a screen telling me that the partition editor failed.  :-{
Three tries, same results.

Next I tried a 'custom' install (with N in the newfs column <g>) as I half
expected that gave me a bunch of,
/stand/cpio: cannot remove current xxxxxx  Operation not permitted
on vty2.  I just hoped that that the things that didn't update would run
well enough with the new kernel to be able to do a make world.

"Custom" seems a bit of a misnomer, IMO, since you can't specify exactly
which components to install.

>From about 26 or 27% into 'Extracting bin into / ....' on, vty2 was
inundated with "uid 0 on /: file system full" messages, but all went well
until about half way thru the transfer of the source tree when I lost
carrier with the ISP I was using.  Argggggg.....  I waited a few moments
and the install didn't seem to notice that there was nothing at the other
end, I re-established the connection and waited but nothing happened.  I
hit Ctrl-C, answered yes to the abort question and the system rebooted to
my RELEASE kernel.  The new GENERIC was in / but not installed.

I ftp'd the balance of the source only to find that
.../dist/src/install.sh has a bit of a problem.  Each line ends with a ^M.
Seems my system couldn't find /bin/sh^M :-}  After editing the script it
worked fine and I was able to compile, install, and run a new kernel.

Make world crashed and burned with undefined symbol _iso_ntoa in debug.o
and list.o while compiling /usr/src/usr.bin/dig.  Since that binary was
installed I commented that directory out of the Makefile and have started
another make world.  Another 6 or 7 hours and we'll see if it works.  I'll
let you know.

I also noticed a LOT of errors making .../share/doc/*

Jack

---
"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." - Benjamin Franklin