Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:41:24 -0400
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@k7.locore.ca>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   review: sparc64 port commit candidate

Hello,

Below are links to the sparc64 port I've been working on, which
I'd like to commit.

The way I started the port was to make stub versions of all the
machine dependent functions in the kernel, which panic with an
informative message when called.  Given minimal startup code and
console support it should be trivial to make this compile and run
the first few sysinits (print the copyright message etc) on almost
any architecture.  Several people have suggested that I commit this
first, followed by the rest of the code and changes.

Currently the port gets through all the sysinits and the first
context switch, and dies trying to copyout to init's address
space (which isn't fully implemented yet :)).

The early port is here:
	http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/sparc64-early.tgz
The current code is here:
	http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/sparc64-current.tgz
	http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/sparc64.diff
and here is a dump of how far it gets:
	http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/tip.record

This isn't really ready for mass consumption yet, as there's no
official loader and you need to build a cross compiler yourself,
but its a start.

Jake