Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:55:47 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PC164 SRM firmware problem

On 2002-Oct-14 22:12:34 -0500, Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net> wrote:
>	I obtained a PC164 motherboard, a 500MHz 21164 Alpha, 128M RAM and
>various other bits (including a dead CPU fan; I just re-pinned an Intel
>heatsink fan to work on the DEC motherboard) to use as a FreeBSD machine.

Are you sure the CPU is OK?  If it had been left running with a dead
CPU fan then it's possible you've got a sick CPU.

>	The flash is "successful," according to fwupdate.exe. The nine
>blocks are counted and verified.

Nine blocks sounds much shorter than I'd expect but I don't know the
PC164.

> I'm not sure if the SRM firmware defaults to com1,

For most (all?) Alphas, the low-level boot output is serial only.
The video card starts later and both run in parallel up to the
SRM prompt (or autoboot point).  The behaviour then depends on
the 'console' variable and sensed presence of a keyboard.

Peter