Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:03:27 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1016481808.5550c3@mired.org>
To:        melly@desaive.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup tags

Melanie Desaive <520088040590-0001@t-online.de> types:
> What is the difference between the cvsup tag RELENG_4 and RELENG_4_5?

RELENG_4 is the -stable system, and include all fixes that apply to
-stable at some point or another. RELENG_4.5 is Release 4.5 plus fixes
approved by the release engineer.

> But I tried it out: First I put the RELENG_4_5 tag in my cvsupfile,
> started an update. And started it once again. At the second run it
> finished without changing anything. (fine)

That got you release 4.5 + a small set of fixes.

> Then I put RELENG_4 into my cvsupfile and started once more. It ran as
> long as at my first try, changing a lot of files (not as I expected)
> After the last update I build my system, for me it seemed to work fine.
> dmesg sayed afterwards, that I run a new (yesterday night) build 4.5
> Kernel.

That got you all the changes that have gone into -stable since Release
4.5, and will be part of Release 4.6. Many of them are *not* part of
RELENG_4_5, and never will be.

> What I want to use is the tag for the newest stable system.

Depends on how you define "stable". I have one production system that
tracks RELENG_4, after it's been tested on machines that are *not*
production. I have one machine that's still tracking RELENG_4_4, is
only updated when a security hole that I'm vulnerable to is fixed, and
won't be move off of 4.4 until either 1) the hardware is replaced or
2) Support for RELENG_4_4 stops. At which point it will go to the
latest version release, and start tracking that.

	<mike