Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:13:01 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: psmintr:out of sync

> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:54:21 +0100
> From: "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> The disadvantage of a KVM switch is that they actually need to be under your
> desk. If you ssh into them and "export DISPLAY" back it doesn't matter if
> they're under your desk or locked into a broomcloset at the other end of the
> house as mine are.

I sincerely hope that you are NOT exporting DISPLAY! This breaks
security (not to mention being more work).

SSH will tunnel X connections automatically and most clients
including DataFellows, TTSSH, and SecureCRT support this. You only
need to enable this on the client. It's usually c checkbox in GUI
configurators and it's a single line in ssh_config for Unix clients.

This causes your display to be set to localhost:N.0, where 'N'
increments once for each ssh session starting (by default) at 10. This
pseudo-display is actually linked to the ssh daemon which simply
encrypts the data and passes it over the ssh tunnel. The ssh client
decrypts it and passes it off to the X server as a local session.

It surprises me how often I see people setting their DISPLAY variable
and breaking this secure encryption. Considering how terribly weak X
security is, I think that this is a very poor idea.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)