Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:51:43 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        tomg@nrnet.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the striaght dope on goatlike features

> This would seem to indicate, at least in anthropological terms, good and evil
> are a duality rather than a polarity, and are awful subjective.

This should probably be moved to -chat, but I have to agree with this
statement. As an excellent example, watch Babylon 5 - the first 3 seasons. They
build the Vorlon race to be "Angelic", and the Shadow to be "evil incarnate".
Both nuture and assist various races (both technologically and evolutionary),
which then fight in periodic wars for "their side".

<spoiler for those who want to watch> However, in the end, it appears the
differences between the two are merely philisophical. The Vorlon believe that
evolution and advancement can only occur in strict, controlled (sometimes
overly so) enviornments - to the point where they will destory creatures and
races that step too far out of line. The Shadow, on the other hand, believe
that evolution is Darwinian... survival of the fittest, and routinely blow
the pants off of entire races... Those who survive and can fight back are fit
to continue existance. In the end, you have to ask yourself which would really
be better? Of course, they both think they're more right than the others.

Anyhow, I think this conversation should really be canned. In the end, you'll
never have everyone happy. I mean, after all, could we expect the Linux
community to roll over if I had a religion where a penguin was a great sign
of evil? :)
	-Brian