Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2000 12:28:53 GMT
From:      bart.lateur@skynet.be (Bart Lateur)
To:        FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question about ftp services.

On Mon, 05 Jun 2000 08:10:38 -0400, Joe Konecny wrote:

>I set up fbsd a while back and have it connected to the
>internet.  I tried to ftp into the box just for kicks and
>it worked.  The only thing is that I never set up an
>ftp service.  Does fbsd install ftp by default?

I think so, yes. Usually, it is auomatically launched by inetd if it
detects a request on FTP's dedicated port.

>How can
>I tell if it's actually my machine I'm hitting and not
>my isp's by some misconfiguration?

Check that the IP is that of your local machine? Locally put a
recognizable file into the FTP space on the FBSD machine, and check it
out on your FTP client side? e.g. a text file with the date+time and
your name in it.

--
	Bart.