Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:48:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      VB <bandi@cs.umn.edu>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This IS relevant, you'll realize why later.

> > John Fieber wrote:

> > > Define what you mean by "information".
> >
> > Not the answer you were looking for, John, but how about this from
> > an informatics point-of-view.
> >
> >  At least n Bits
> >
> > Where n is the total quantity of mass/energy quanta reduced to binary
> > states.

There is a book titled - 'physics of immortality' that attempts
such quantifications. One can ignore the conclusions of the book
but still make good use of the chockful of numbers thrown around
and the excellent bibliography.

	Specifically, the author tries to put a ceiling on the
sum total of information in the universe as the cartesian product
of basic particles of matter and their possible states. While I
found the arguments presented rather forced and drawn out, the
statistical premises (author is a statistical physician, I think)
were reasonable and clear.

	amazon.com has a blurb (rather distasteful one at that)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0385467990/0750-9603483-170006

-vijay