Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 11:55:38 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>, FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FBSD 4.4 UDMA ICRC error

On Sunday 03 March 2002 11:25 am, Scott wrote:
> >ad1s1f: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 17694848 of 8060992-8061007
> >(ad1s1 bn 17694848; cn 17554 tn 6 sn 38) retrying
> >
> >    I searched the FBSD archives and Googled the Net, only to find
> >suggestions that I had
> >(A) a faulty hard drive,
> >(B) a faulty IDE ribbon cable, or
> >(C) electro-magnetic interference from nearby power cables or a
> > coil.
> >
> >    Hoping for a cheap and easy fix, I first tried rerouting my
> > ribbon cable, to no avail.  (I actually held it as far from
> > everything as possible while firing up the box, but I still got
> > the errors.) Since I have a few, never-been-used cables, I tried
> > a couple of these -- one of each, 40- and 80-conductors.  No
> > dice.
>
> It's got to be shielded, 80 pin ATA100 (at least, or ATA 166, I've
> forgotten. )   :)
> Thing is, cables that come with even expensive computers are
> usually cheap.  On the other hand, I think I found my replacement
> cable for about 3 dollars, though I did it on the web and had to
> pay shipping)
>
> I'm willing to bet three dollars that it is the cable.  :)
>
> Scott

   Well, for a few bucks, maybe I'll go out and give it a whirl, next
weekend.  'Course, being basically tight, I might wait to see if
there's a chipset fix that does it, first...  In any event, if that
doesn't do it, I'll certainly want to try the shielded cable.
   Thanks, to all, for the advice!

--
"The truth is more important than the facts." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
(1868-1959)