Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:05:45 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vidcontrol help

> Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 00:54:04 -0400
> From: Skip <vze2j9fk@verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: vidcontrol help
>
> Christopher W. Aiken wrote:
> > I'm trying to get a 90x43 display on my consol window.
> > I tried everything I could think of but can not get
> > any displays except 80x25 and 80x30.  I tried:
>
> What video card do you have?
>
> I have the same problem and someone here said that my video card (SiS620)
> doesn't implement VESA completely.
>
> Just like with you though, Linux doesn't seem to have a problem with it.
>
> I've been looking for info on framebuffers and there isn't very much.
> But I think Linux might use graphics modes and FreeBSD doesn't.  I'm not
> sure though.

There is a graphics mode that you can use, but I haven't tried it.
("man vidcontrol" tells us about "VESA_800x600" and the corresponding
kernel option "SC_PIXEL_MODE" :-)

"man 4 syscons" also tells us the above mode increases the size of
the kernel a lot.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium