Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:01:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, nms@otdel-1.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there spinlocks/semaphores available for drivers?

:And would there still be areas of the kernel that disable multiple
:interrupts, perhaps CAM or the network stack for instance?  What do
:all the splbio and splnet calls translate into in this new scheme?
:
:--
:Dan Eischen

    The entire design of the kernel is currently predicated on the spl*()
    mechanism.  We obviously can't rip it out in a day.  I'm guessing it
    will probably take two years ... or never if we can eek out sufficient
    performance with it still in place.

    I think there is a good chance we can reap the performance benefits
    without ripping the spl*() API to shreads, even if we have to rewrite
    the cpl mechanism that runs the show under the hood.  The system most
    likely to be rewritten to avoid spl*() (under normal operation) is
    the network subsystem.  That alone will give us a big boost.

	Network subsystem	easy
	Disk subsystem		hard
	VM subsystem		really hard

    I outline how the current cpl mechanism can be used almost verbatim
    in an interrupt-thread environment in my SMP document, under
    'interrupt sequencing'.

	http://www.backplane.com/FreeBSD4/smp-api.html

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon