Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 01:04:13 +0100
From:      Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice on creating partitions

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 12:44:33AM +0100, F.Xavier Noria wrote:
> I've got a new computer with RAM 256 DDR and 21GB of its hard disk
> reserved for FreeBSD.
>=20
> I have no clue about what partitions should I create and what size
> should they have since in previous installations I just followed the
> 3xRAM rule for swap and the rest was under /.
>=20
> This is going to be an average desktop computer, for playing around,
> programming and so forth. After reading the relevant parts of the
> Handbook and "The Complete FreeBSD", I've come with this temptative
> settings:
>=20
>     /     200MB
>     swap  800MB
>     /var  300MB  + SoftUpdates
>     /usr  <rest> + SoftUpdates

Everything seems fine to me except /usr. Make it smaller, around 4GB or
less. And then, make the rest of space a nice /home partition.
My /usr is 3.5GB and it is still 45% used, with _lots_ (too much)
applications installed...

> and /tmp would be symlinked to /usr/tmp to make sure I do not run out of

Use MFS for /tmp; it's cooler ;)
mount -t mfs /dev/swappartition /tmp

HTH

> space there (is that reason reasonable in fact?). I don't need to be
> conservative because I have a lot of room, would you think those are
> suitable partitions?
>=20
> -- fxn
>=20