Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 14:01:22 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Large mail file (3GB)

In the last episode (May 24), Odhiambo Washington said:
> I have a file that is 3GB in mbox format. I need to split it into 3
> parts then access it using elm, or even mutt. Is there a utility in
> FreeBSD that can be used to truncate a file into some predetermined
> parts?

Do you mean a single message, or multiple messages in a single large
mailbox?  Just load mutt up on the 3gb mailbox.  As long as you have
less that 65000 messages mutt will be able to read it fine.

If you want to split it up, just tag the first 1/3 of the messages,
save them to "mbox1", tag the next third, save them as "mbox2", etc.

> Sometimes in Winblows I use a small utility called MEGAFLI, but there
> are others also. I cannot access this file using mutt because doing
> that does brinf my system down to its knees..a pentium III 500MHz
> with 128MB RAM...

Hmm.  Mutt shouldn't have any problems, unless you really have a
huge number of messages.  All mutt keeps in memory is a few headers per
message.  For example, my archive of the FreeBSD-Questions for this
year has 24K messages and is 86MB in size, and mutt requires 23MB of
ram to load it up in unsorted mode.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com