Date:      Sun, 01 Nov 1998 13:45:39 +0100
From:      Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?= <lkoeller@cc.fh-lippe.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: SOLUTION: Still freeze with 3.0-RELEASE

This is a multipart MIME message.

--==_Exmh_4525908870

--------

Hi!

The reason for the freeze of my system seems to be based on the sound =

code! The differences between the stable kernel and the kernel which =

shows sporadic freeze/reboots are the following lines (I've attached =

the kernel config which is stable):

> # This allows you to actually store this configuration file into
> # the kernel binary itself, where it may be later read by saying:
> #    strings /kernel | grep ^___ | sed -e 's/^___//' > MYKERNEL
> #
> options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel
> =

> options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
31a40,41
> =

> # KTRACE enables the system-call tracing facility ktrace(2).
101a112,122
> =

> =

> #
> # Audio drivers: `snd', `sb', `pas', `gus', `pca'
> #
> controller      snd0
> device  sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
> device  sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
> device  sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
> device  awe0    at isa? port 0x620

I've seen the same behavior with 2.2.7 and some versions of oss from =

4Front Tecnologies. I'm still using OSS 3.8s which is rock stable!

Regards

Lars
-- =

E-Mail:                                     |  Lars Koeller
  Lars.Koeller@Uni-Bielefeld.DE              |  UNIX Sysadmin
  lkoeller@cc.fh-lippe.de                     |  Computing Center
PGP-key:                                       |  University of Bielefeld=

  http://www.nic.surfnet.nl/pgp/pks-toplev.html |  Germany
----------- FreeBSD, what else? ---- http://www.freebsd.org -------------=

--==_Exmh_4525908870

#
# ODIE kernel config file
#

machine		"i386"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
cpu		"I686_CPU"		# aka Pentium Pro(tm)
ident		TEST
maxusers	32

config		kernel	root on da1

options         SMP             #Smmetric Multiprocessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO         #Smmetric (APIC) I/O

# Lets always enable the kernel debugger for SMP.
options         DDB

options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3
options 	MAXCONS=3D8		#Number of max. allowed virt. consoles
options         QUOTA                   #enable disk quotas
options         SYSVSHM                 #System V shared memory support
options         SYSVSEM                 #System V Semophore support
options         SYSVMSG                 #System V Message support
options         UCONSOLE		#Allow ordinary users to take the
					#console - this is useful for X.
options		XSERVER			#include code for XFree86
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         KTRACE                  #kernel tracing

#
# ISA devices
#
controller	isa0

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1

#
# PCI devices
#
controller	pci0

options         SCSI_DELAY=3D15000	# Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device=

# Adaptec 2940[U/UW] SCSI Adapter
controller	ahc0
controller      ahc1

# Devices connected
device		ch0
device		da0
device		sa0
device		cd0
device		pass0

# The syntax for wiring down devices is:
# AH2940 U
controller	scbus0	at ahc0

# Seagate ST15150N
disk            da0	at scbus0 target 0
disk            da1	at scbus0 target 1

# Seagate Python 28388, DDS2
tape            sa0	at scbus0 target 3

# PIONEER CD-ROM DR-U12X auf ID 4
device          cd0	at scbus?

# Adic Autochanger mit HP DAT, DDS2
device		ch0	at scbus0 target 5
tape            sa1	at scbus0 target 6

# AH 2940 UW
controller	scbus1	at ahc1
# Seagate ST32171W
disk            da2	at scbus1 target 8
disk            da3	at scbus1 target 9

# ps2 mouse
device		psm0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
options         SC_HISTORY_SIZE=3D512     # number of history buffer line=

device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" iosiz 0x0 flags 0x0 irq 13 vector npxi=
ntr

# sio1 (dcf-77)
# serial console
options         BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER	# a BREAK on a comconsole goes to DDB
options         CONSPEED=3D19200		#default speed for serial console (defa=
ult 9600)
device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty flags 0x10 irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device		lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device   ccd		4
pseudo-device   bpfilter	4
pseudo-device	pty		128
pseudo-device   snp             3    #Snoop device - to look at pty/vty/e=
tc..
pseudo-device	gzip		     #Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device   vn                   #Vnode driver (turns a file into a d=
evice)

# i4b passive ISDN cards support (isic - I4b Siemens Isdn Chipset driver)=

# note that the ``options'' and ``device'' lines must BOTH be defined !

# Teles S0/16.3
options "TEL_S0_16_3"
device  isic0 at isa? port 0xd80 net irq 10 flags 0x04 vector isicintr

# i4b passive cards D channel handling
# Q.921
pseudo-device   "i4bq921"
# Q.931
pseudo-device   "i4bq931"

# common passive and active layer 4
# layer 4
pseudo-device   "i4b"

# userland driver to do ISDN tracing (for passive cards oly)
pseudo-device   "i4btrc"        4
# userland driver to control the whole thing
pseudo-device   "i4bctl"
# userland driver for access to raw B channel
pseudo-device   "i4brbch"       4
# userland driver for telephony
pseudo-device   "i4btel"        2
# network driver for IP over raw HDLC ISDN
pseudo-device   "i4bipr"        4
# enable VJ header compression detection for ipr i/f
options         IPR_VJ
# network driver for sync PPP over ISDN
pseudo-device   "i4bisppp"      4
pseudo-device   sppp            4