Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:42:04 -0800
From:      Jim Mock <jim@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        jquinada@worldnet.att.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: If you don't mind me asking . . .

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 at 01:05:58 -0800, jquinada@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> I'm an intermediate-knowledge user of Linux and a curious, general
> observer of the Unix world, and I've recently stumbled upon a lot of
> BSD stuff (and have even recently read "The Design and Implementation
> of the BSD 4.4 Operating System"), but I'm really dying to know
> something, and was wondering if you could take just a minute to answer
> my question: What the heck is the difference between FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
> BSDi and NetBSD???? Are these more-or-less the same operating systems
> with similar goals, but for various reason the different groups didn't
> want to work together? Or, are each of these BSD "flavors" actually
> geared toward different markets and different uses? Or something else?

In a nutshell..

o FreeBSD is aimed at stability and high performance on x86 and Alpha
  architectures.

o OpenBSD is aimed at being the "most secure" BSD, which really doesn't
  mean much because security is the job of the admin.  Being secure
  out-of-the-box is good, but it's still up to the admin to take care of
  the system security.

o BSDi is a company, not an operating system.  I'm assuming you're
  talking about BSD/OS.  BSD/OS is aimed at commercial organizations who
  don't really need source (they can buy it if they do want it), want
  commercial support available (even though it's also available for
  FreeBSD), etc.  It's basically for companies who are "afraid" of open
  source software (as far as not understanding that they can buy
  support, etc. for FreeBSD too -- the "Free" in FreeBSD scares a lot
  of them) and feel the need to use proprietary software and spend
  money.

o NetBSD is aimed at multi-platform use (check out their web site for a
  list of platforms they run on -- there are a *ton*)

- jim

--
jim mock <jim@jmock.com>        work: jim@osd.bsdi.com | jim@FreeBSD.org
http://soupnazi.org/              BSDi Open Source Div | http://bsdi.com