Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:03:55 -0500
From:      Lee Nelson <jld123@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Permissions & user/group scheme for webserver?

This is an excellent question, and it's also an enduring
problem.  It's easy enough to make all files owned by
user:nobody, but the problem is that CGI's executing as
nobody can go off and read other peoples files!

  To counter this, I run all CGI's as suid the user.
But this requires Apache's suexec code, which is difficult
to get working properly, since the Apache folks disapprove
and have placed so many restrictions on it.

  Of course you run the risk of an insecure CGI allowing
an attacker to place files in your web tree, or plant
trojan binaries.  Buy hey, just don't write insecure CGI's! :)

  I'd love to hear if anyone knows a way to restrict
a CGI's access to a particular sub-tree.  The suexec
stuff really is a pain, and more of risk than I really
like to take.

  -Lee