Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 04:18:34 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        Joe Bo <ibjoe@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help me with my DNS please?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 05:46:03PM -0800, Joe Bo wrote:

> Do I want to set up named.conf to be a "primary" or "secondary" server?
> I think I'm set up as a "primary" now, but am not sure.

None of both. You need a ``forwarders'' entry in your named.conf file.

A name server can be primary for a zone (domain or reverse lookup
delegation), that means, he provides the information from his for others
or secondary, which means, it mirrors zone information from others for
forwarder to forward requests to other name servers and cache the results.

An example:

----- snip -----
options {
	directory "/etc/namedb";
	forwarders {
		a1.b1.c1.d1;
		a2.b2.c2.d2;
	};
	/*
	 * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
	 * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
	 * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
	 * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
	 * port by default.
	 */
	/* query-source address * port 53; */
	dialup yes;
	max-ncache-ttl 86400;
};

zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "named.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
	type master;
	file "localhost.rev";
};
----- snip -----

Replace a1.b1.c1.d1 and a2.b2.c2.d2 by name servers running at your
provider.

> Can anyone show me an example or point me to a web page (or other
> technical reference) that will help me be sure my configuration is

http://www.isc.org/bind/, IIRR.

"DNS & BIND 3rd Ed." by O'Reilly is said to be a good choice starting
with DNS.

Regards,

Martin
--
,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities, if you're knowing to take them,
        you know, there's a lot of opportunities, if there aren't