Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 10:39:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   SUMMARY: Chuck image being used in a sex ad

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Marco Molteni wrote:

> I just discovered our little Chuck (the BSD daemon) being
> used for a commercial banner. You can have a look at it at
> http://www.erosclub.it/messag.htm, pointing to a would-be
> herbalist's shop. The text is in italian, and means:  "Now you can
> improve or find again your sexual power".
>
> Obviously, I *hate* seeing Chuck being used in a commercial
> banner.  If someone at FreeBSD is willing to contact them, I'll be
> pleased to translate from english to italian.

Short after having posted this message, I got a reply from Kirk
McKusick, the copyright holder of the BSD Daemon. He asked me to
translate a message to the offending webmaster, saying to refrain
from using the BSD daemon. The webmaster removed the daemon image,
saying that he got the banner from a client, and that he wasn't
aware of the copyright.

P.S. As Kirk pointed out to me, the BSD daemon hasn't a name, and is
     proud of it. So don't call him Chuck. Call him "the BSD daemon".

Cheers
Marco Molteni "Whuffo you jump out of them airplanes?"