Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:11:25 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Subject:   Re: Linux executable picks up FreeBSD library over linux one and breaks

Quoting Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org> (from Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:52:15 +0100):

> Alexander Leidinger ha scritto:
>> To achieve this goal we have 2 possibilities, either we install  =20
>> everything into LINUXBASE and install a wrapper in LOCALBASE, or we =20
>>  install everything in a safe location in LOCALBASE. The first part =20
>>  requires that the maintainers of the linux program play some =20
>> tricks  in their port (plist and/or Makfile). If they fail to do =20
>> this, it  increases the load of portmgr from time to time (build =20
>> failures on  the build cluster). In the second case (install into a =20
>> safe place  in LOCALBASE), portmgr is out of the loop, as if =20
>> something goes  wrong, the port maintainer and/or emulation@ is =20
>> asked for help, as  it is a bug of the port.
>
> I admit that probably I'm using only one or two linux applications and
> I've never created a linux port, but I think the right way is the
> former possibility, the latter seems a hack to me. It could be harder
> for unexperienced maintainers, but once we defined the correct way to
> add a wrapper in LOCALBASE (and put it in the porter's handbook), I
> think the work for maintainers/committers should be quite easy. What
> are the other issues that make the former solution so difficult?

Multiple prefixes in one port (pkg-plist).

I know it is possible. I know that several native ports use it. I know =20
how the linux ports looked before I cleaned up several bad things in =20
most of them.

We (Boris and me) managed to refine the linux-rpm bits into a .mk =20
which allows more easy porting, but I know the complexity behind and =20
sometimes I just wonder how some linux port managed to not produce a =20
hell of a lot of support requests. It allows to produce nice and easy =20
(sort of) installation of rpms into LINUXBASE. Judging from the =20
quality of most of the linux ports I've seen, I think requiring =20
multiple prefixes in the pkg-plist calls for more problems in the =20
generation of linux ports.

On the other hand, if you can come up with some easy to use macros for =20
a .mk file which hides everything (WRAPPER_SBIN=3D${FILESDIR}/foobar, or =20
whatever), I happily review them and share my opinion about them based =20
upon my experience with the linux ports. Take maybe a game (one with =20
average porting complexity), and maybe acroread as an example which =20
shows how to use them

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
/Earth is 98% full ... please delete anyone you can.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137