Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 13:55:56 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        Dave Marquardt <marquard@zilker.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UNIX 98

On Sun, May 24, 1998 at 02:18:51PM -0500, Dave Marquardt wrote:
> Victor Sudakov <vas@vas.tsu.tomsk.su> writes:
> > Are there any efforts to make FreeBSD UNIX 98 compliant? Is it at all
> > possible?
>
> I suspect there aren't any efforts, due to lack of interest.  As for
> whether it's possible, do you mean to ask whether it's technically
> feasible?  Yes, of course it's technically feasible.

Yes, it is technically feasible. However, it is my understanding that the
branding process costs around $100,000 and I just don't see what a Unix 98
(BLECH!) brand would buy us. There may be a few pointy haired management
type who might be impressed but the fact there is no support would nullify
what ever might gain. If we ever had $100,000 to screw around with I'm sure
we could find several better uses for the money than a Unix 98 branding.

My $0.02

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.7
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses