Date:      Fri, 06 Oct 2000 10:51:10 -0600
From:      Jim Thario <jim@thario.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Moving partitions

Hi everyone.

I have a 686 running FreeBSD 4.x with a 4 gigabyte hard disk. I'm going
to add a 15 gigabyte disk to the machine and split the space on this
disk between /var and /usr/home. Once the drive is installed,
partitioned, formatted, ready and willing - is there anything special I
need to consider when copying the directories and files over?

Here is my process: mount the new /var parition as /newvar, for
instance, and do a "cp -Rp" to copy everything over from /var to the
/newvar partition. I will do the copy in single-user mode for extra
safety. Next, I would add the entries into /etc/fstab for the new
partition and restart the system. If that works, I will do the same for
/usr/home.

Am I missing anything?
Is there a better or safer way to move this stuff?

Thanks in advance!

-- Jim