Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:43:40 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Richard Nyberg <rnyberg@it.su.se>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>, Rolandas Naujikas <rolnauj@delfi.lt>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcp keepalive and dynamic ipfw rules

> > # Allow me to make TCP connections
> > ipfw add pass tcp from me to any setup
> > ipfw add pass tcp from any to any established
>
> IIRC it's better to use dynamic (keep-state and check-state) rules instead,
> because they check more state than the static.

Possibly, but leaving 'inactive' rules in the mix leaves you open for
DoS attacks just as easily.  Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

> My solution to keep my ssh sessions from hanging because I made a cup
> of coffe was to up the syctl MIB 'net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_ack_lifetime' to
> a more reasonable value.

So, non-active TCP sessions can now get packets through since the
lifetime of the rules now exceed the lifetime of many of your TCP
sessions, so I can now watch your firewall and punch packets through it
by analyzing the data.

(In short, anyone good enough to punch through packets using the other
firewall setup is also capable of punching through packets with extended
lifetime TCP dynamic rules.)

Nate