Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 23:22:24 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        "Macrolosa" <edvard@post.omnitel.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: login-MODEM

I don't profess to be any kind of guru, so the easiest workable solution I
could implement
was to remove all non-essential services from mission critical machines,
lock those boxes
down as much as possible given my ability (or lack thereof) & then allow
regular users
shell access to what Ted described as "kiddy playpens" or somesuch. Thats
worked far
better than the previous system where all & sundry had access of some kind
to the more
mission critical machines. At least we haven't been hacked since then
whereas it used to
be a regular occurrence, albeit only once or twice a year. I've been
considering building
some OpenBSD systems for the gateways ... some seem to believe they are a
better
solution than FreeBSD for that purpose.