Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 1996 13:05:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared Memory Questions

actually, you're not really running out of shared memory. You're running
out of sysv shared memory, which is barely a qualifier for the name
'shared memory' :=)

Does the tool you're using use the shared memory just as shared memory,
and not for locks, etc.? If so, you're better off setting up shared
mmap'ed files, since there will be no limit. I have a simple allocater
called filemalloc and filecalloc that does this, if you want them let me
know. Works much better than sysv shm.

ron