Date:      20 Feb 2001 21:01:29 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        Jason Brazile <jason@netcetera.ch>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make bug? (dependency names with '$')

Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com> writes:
> Disagree.  If you want it to be portable, don't use a non-standard
> extension to a tool, such as jikes dependency features.
>
> We used jikes for our day-day development, but move back to using
> 'javac' for our Q/A and final builds.  That way we can complain to Sun
> when things don't work. ;)

So what's the problem? javac also automatically builds dependencies,
it's just not as good at it as jikes. For a final build, you want to
start with a clean tree anyway, so javac's inability to correctly
detect if a dependency is out of date is irrelevant.

Also, my experience is that unless you're paying Sun significant
amounts of $$, their reaction to bug reports is to close their eyes,
hum real loud and hope they go away.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org