Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:54:31 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update a package using the ports collections

> Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 18:12:34 +0300
> From: Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
> Subject: Re: Update a package using the ports collections
>
> * Mario Doria <mariodoria@yahoo.com> [20010606 07:46]: writing on the subject 'Update a package using the ports collections'
> Mario> Hello,
> Mario>
> Mario> How do I upgrade an existing, installed package? Let's say I had bind 8.2.5
> Mario> and I needed to upgrade to 8.2.3, what would I do using the ports
> Mario> collection?
> Mario>
> Mario> Do I deinstall and then install with the updated port sources, or do
> Mario> I just "make install" again with the updated port sources? What
> Mario> happens with my config files?
>
> Since the config files are basically the same save for the $TTL that is
> required for every zone file, you can just do like this, as root of
> course!
>
> cd /etc
> cp -Rp namedb namedb.BAK	#Keep a backup of your configs
>
> pkg_delete -f /var/db/pkg/bind-8.2.5
>
> Hoping that you have CVSupped and has current ports; BTW Bind9 is what is
> now in the ports but doesn't matter. Use what your ports tree has.
>
> cd /usr/ports/net/bind8
>
> make install distclean
>
> But if you install your bind elsewhere than the default, you may want to
> look at Makefile in that directory.
>
> HTH
>
> - -Wash

Unfortunately the BIND that comes with the core system is located
in /usr/ (etc) and the BIND that comes as a port (at least BIND 8)
installs by default in /usr/local/ (etc)  In one case I ended up with
2 versions in different places after installing the Bind binary pkg
from the 4.2-RELEASE CD.

I think you need to do something like "make install prefix=/usr" or
somesuch, but I haven't tried it on this particular app yet.

I agree with someone's comment the other day about how its time for
the core apps to adhere to a similiar (or better yet, the same)
database as ports/packages.. since there is much confusion about apps
where ports also exist, ie Bind, OpenSSH, etc.

For example, on the machine mentioned, if I do "locate nslookup" I
find:
/usr/local/bin/nslookup
/usr/sbin/nslookup
/usr/src/usr.sbin/nslookup (source)
/usr/src/contrib/bind/nslookup (source)

I don't even know where the 4th one comes from.

In looking at the Bind port makefile, it looks like it points its
documentation to the same default directory as the Bind that comes
with the core distribution - so now I worry that if I do a
"pkg_delete", will it delete parts of the core version and/or will
installing the port overwrite parts of the core version, ie docs?

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium