Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 1995 13:53:16 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Alex R.N. Wetmore" <aw2t+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Recommended sound card for 1.1.5.1

> And can be found used even cheaper (I got mine for around $25).  Only problem
> is that they truly suck under Windows 3.1 and Windows NT (at least on my
> system), so if you use multiple OS's you might want to go for the Sound
> Blaster Pro (still pretty cheap).

Why do they suck so bad?  All the Pro is going to get you is the
rather dubious stereo it achieves by wiring the electronic equivalent
of two SB VE's to the same board!  The sound isn't going to be
necessarily better, since it's the same sound source, just doubled.

Is it the *software* support that's superious under Windows?  If so,
then this might be the thing.  I never use my SB under Windows for
anything but general monaural digital output, so I wouldn't notice any
such shortcomings..  Actually, all my sound cards are now SB16+ASP+WB
combos or the AWE32 and I *still* don't really use all that weird shit
they give you for Windows! :-)

Now if I had an X package that fully supported playing Midi files on the
higher-end Creative Labs cards, that would be nifty..

					Jordan