Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 14:12:37 -0700
From:      Erin Fortenberry <erinf@lusardi.com>
To:        'Jon Henshaw' <jon@henshaw1999.freeserve.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: UNIX

>>>What are the advantages of a UNIX OS ?

WOW! Such a loaded question. I guess the first advantage would be open
source, Meaning the software you have on your FreeBSD box also has the
source code with it. Another big one would be uptime. I have built systems
that have been running for more then 400 days without a reboot, and they
still don't need it. The best I've done with an M$ NT machine is 4 months,
and it was bounced because the keyboard became nonresponsive. One more good
one would be price... FreeBSD is, uh, Free!

>>>I have experience of several of the tempremental Windows operating
systems but know nobody >>>who uses UNIX.

Ahhhh, young grass-hopper... thousands upon thousands of people use UNIX in
one form or another. I started in AIX (IBM), moved to Slackware (Linux) and
settled in on FreeBSD. I guess the biggest reason was for ease of use, It's
really not that hard. I am a windows admin (cough!) and even I am picking it
up. :-)

>>>Why does UNIX seem to be such a well kept secret ?

I guess the best thing I could say here is:
Windows is the wool that was pulled over your eyes to blind you from the
truth. All good software did run on or will run on some form of UNIX. We are
*WAY* to big of a market to ignore.

Good luck on your journey into this new world.

Erin

mailto:kahn@unet.tm
http://www.fortenberry.net

"If I cannot use the users as playthings, I don't really see too much
purpose in having them on my systems."
	-- Chris Magagna