Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:05:02 -0500
From:      Phil <ReachMe@Syne-Post.com>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A boot up problem.

Well, There was only one installation of FreeBSD on this box which is 2.2.7-stable.

As an update they just had their circuit put in and he manually shutdown the BSD box
before turning it off. After turning it back on the system came up normally and did
not have such an error.

here's the specific error as noted in some communications with the other sysadmin;
snip!!!! -----
>         8)
>                 echo "Automatic file system check failed...
help!"
>                 exit 1
>                 ;;

That's the one (#8).

I saw this happen on one of our servers too, yesterday morning, and I had
to manually fsck the disk.  The fsck manual page explains it, but I don't
know yet what kind of error it encounters that makes it ask for manual
intervention.  There might not be any remedy except to make sure the
system is always shut down properly.

Ok so hopefully this extra info will be all that we need (Yeah Right)

Phil