Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:52:22 -0400
From:      Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AutoFS on FreeBSD

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 05:24:06PM -0700, Jim Pirzyk wrote:
> I was wondering if there is anyone working on AutoFS for FreeBSD.  We
> currently have 4 studios with around 1000 unix systems of all kinds.
> Currently there are only 2 OSes that do not have autofs, FreeBSD and one
> that is known for its number crunching capabilties (and those are being
> phased out of production).  Amd will not meet our needs because of the
> use of sym links.  This is why AutoFS was written in the first place.
> I quote the 1993 USENIX paper on AutoFS (check
> http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/cinci93/full_papers/callaghan.txt
> for the full paper).

Do you mean amd(8)?

AMD(8)                  FreeBSD System Manager's Manual                 AMD(8)

NAME
     amd - automatically mount file systems

DESCRIPTION
     Amd is a daemon that automatically mounts filesystems whenever a file or
     directory within that filesystem is accessed.  Filesystems are automati-
     cally unmounted when they appear to be quiescent.

HISTORY
     The amd utility first appeared in 4.4BSD.

BSD                             April 19, 1994                               3

--
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org