Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 10:33:02 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Sudirman Hassan <s9810048@mmu.edu.my>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeFirewall

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Sudirman Hassan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for answers on my XFree864.10 problem. I'll try it when I get back my
> monitor ( i sent to shop for repair this morning, it getting blur for months
> and I could no more resist it :). Will be getting back on Monday - quite long
> time eh ).
>
> I'm tired of windows. That's say everything. Now I want to shift to FreeBSD. I
> want to learn it and love it. That's what I put up at my locker. I started to
> play with it 3 months ago with some 8 months backround in Linux. Since then I
> never look back to something they call "bloating-prone-to-crash-OS".
>
> In process of learning it, I want to contribute something to community.
> Eventhough it might be a small project, hope it'll help other later or at least
> give some idea or prototype so that someone might be coming with better thing.
> Thus I come with idea of webbased firewall. Easy to use, install and manage.
>
> The idea is that :
> 1. Sys admin using webbased interface to manage the firewall - remotely using
> browser. Can do configuration of firewall policy, rule via web. See log file.
> for firewall - i might be using ip filter.

Whatever you're using, one of the first lessons you learn when doing
remote firewall configuration:

- keep a working copy of the current config as well as a "new version".
Use a script to install it that PUTS THE OLD ONE BACK after 30 seconds
or so unless interrupted.

> This is my Final Year Project. There's many topics available that I can choose
> but I think better I propose something that I can use it as a way to play with
> my FreeBSD box and in the same time provide those with faint-hearted to use
> FreeBSD and later love it. :) Also I see that many company ( small to medium )
> need something like this. Something like this have appeared in Linux such as
> Mandrake SNF and e-smith but I don;t know whether we FreeBSDian have one.
>
> Now, come to what I want to ask. :) Please give comments, constructive
> suggestion, links, article,  whatever so that I can make this project a
> reality. Personal help would also be welcome. I like to mail personally to
> those who volunteer to help personally rather flooding this mailing list. Flame
> should be okay :)

Re: GUIs and making firewall configuration simple -
Firewall configuration is something that you unfortunately have to have
some idea of what you're doing, to do; but I'd be very interested in an
expert system that could suggest a setup given security requirements and
a description of the physical layout. Depends if your FYP is researchy
or engineeringy.

Whose kung-fu is the best?