Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 21:37:17 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Build of latest pan fails

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 02:46:26AM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply. I already checked the ports tree and found
> 1.2.8 so installed that instead, then it barfed on gtk (again v1.2.7
> installed). I installed gtk-1.2.8 and, hey presto, pan built, but why does
> the dependency checking not pick up the fact that these 2 libs are out of
> date?

I have no idea about glib/gtk 1.3.x -- in fact, I'm going to look
at that later, and probably just rip them out of the tree.

As for differences between 1.2.7 and 1.2.8 -- our dependency checking
is based around shared library revision numbers right now.  Since there
was no shared library bump, 1.2.7 and 1.2.8 are indistinguishable,
except in the cases where software really does need the latest stable
version.  See this list, and others, for long discussions on how to
go about solving this -- it'll probably be some time before any
mechanisms get put in place.

However (and this is probably something that should go in the
handbook somewhere), if you're having problems with building a
port locally, and there is a package for it available on
ftp.FreeBSD.org (and mirrors, of course), then there's a local issue.

99% of these issues are out-of-date dependencies (sometimes hidden
away in the bowels of the earth).  This is where:

	pkg_version -v | grep -v up-to-date

comes in extremely handy.  Locate the out-of-date ports, update them,
and be happy.

Certainly, for things like GNOME, and GNOMEish applications, always
check that you have the latest stable versions of dependent ports
before filing PRs, or sending stuff to -ports, if they're not up-to-date,
fix that, then try again.  If it's still broken, then send in the PR
or whatever -- my "GNOME builder" box maintains a very up-to-date
ports tree (with a bit of extra CPU, it could probably reinstall
itself completely every night and generate packages) -- this is my
baseline for improving the FreeBSD GNOME ports.  If you want to
stay "bleeding edge", then you need a system that has the same
ports that mine does :)

None of the above is a dig at Mark as an individual.. it's just that
I'm seeing a worrying trend, with people failing to perform basic
consistency checks on their own systems before simply punting
for help..

Rule #1: pkg_version -v | grep -v up-to-date
Rule #2: cd /usr/ports; make index
Rule #3: goto Rule #1

-aDe

--